Tuesday 9 July 2019

Killie 150 - Twin Peaks - A Double Cup Triumph: 1919-1929

Kilmarnock began the 'Roaring Twenties' by winning the Scottish Cup and ended that tumultuous decade by repeating the feat. Indeed, they were the only club outwith the Old Firm to win the national trophy more than once in the entire inter-war period and their four finals during the same era was also unmatched beyond Ibrox and Parkhead.

Much of the success was down to new Secretary-Manager Hugh Spence. Only Bobby Williamson has taken less time to win a major trophy with Killie and to this day no other manager has done so twice.

CORRECTIONS

Not so much a correction as an updated observation: I mention Ayr United's chairman saying Ayr could repeat Killie's Scottish Cup success "at some future date" and I say more than 70 years later that achievement still hadn't been achieved. It would be remiss of me not to point out that should somehow Ayr fail to win the Scottish Cup in the coming 2019-20 season it will have been exactly 100 years since their then Chairman made the bold statement they could equal Killie's victory.

Unfortunately another update is needed to my reference on page 45 to Ayr United's failure to ever repeat their Scottish Cup win over Killie in 1924. Suffice to say this is no longer the case.

There are, I'm afraid to say, some pretty atrocious typos in this section. This was my first book and it was a harsh lesson well learned. None of my later books have ever gone to print without me seeing the final proofs first. There are still errors but at least there are fewer of them and they are my responsibility alone.


Next More Final Flings: 1929-1939

Anyone wishing to use any of this material should contact me via my email address or Twitter feed. Links on the top right of the page

No comments:

Post a Comment